Re: I could be wrong (BUT)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TheOldHokie on July 23, 2019 at 19:18:09 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: I could be wrong (BUT) posted by Dn-N-Tn on July 23, 2019 at 18:19:59:

I think this discussion is really quite useless.

TEL was used first used in gasoline as a patented (by GM) way to raise the octane rating and prevent detonation at advanced timing and higher compression ratios. While it had a few other beneficial side effects I don't think they played any real role in engine design. I have 40's, 50's, and 60's cars and tractors that run just fine on modern unleaded gas.

TEL was also a spark plug killer and still is in aircraft engines where it's continued use requires very specific and regular maintenance to keep the engines functioning reliably. Remember when a used plug commonly looked like this? That buildup is lead oxide created by the combustion of TEL. Your trick with the plug wires was a well known way to burn off some of those deposits and won't work today because those deposits are now a thing of the past.

TEL as a gasoline additive was a very bad idea when it was introduced in 1920 and still is today. It "only" took 50 years for one thing to become abundantly clear. The cons far outweigh any benefits and there are better and safer ways to do the job.

TOH

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]