Re: No fire 8n

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K.LaRue-VA on July 14, 2019 at 23:16:36 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: No fire 8n posted by Bruce(OR) on July 14, 2019 at 19:40:48:

If they have a ballast resistor this is probably a front mount engine. The front mount engine does need the factory ignition resistor with the "12 volt" coil. To my knowledge there is no 12 volt replacement coil for the front mount that does not need the external resistor.

Electronic ignition on the front mount engine needs two wires going to the distributor. One from the ignition resistor to the coil, the second wire is direct from the switched side of the ignition switch for the module.

The ammeter usually won't show anything more than maybe a small wiggle when the switch is turned on. If you have headlights switching those on should show more than a wiggle.

The electronic ignition modules should last much longer than a year so I suspect replacing the module last time maybe inadvertently fixed some other issue like the coil terminal not making good contact in the distributor. Just removing and reinstalling the coil can make or break that connection. There are other things like the copper strip in the distributor that can cause no spark condition.

I have no clue if the pertronix module can be tested other than having two good ones and swapping them when there is any question.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]