Re: Suggish after towstarting

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on June 02, 2019 at 10:35:07 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Suggish after towstarting posted by fritz on June 01, 2019 at 11:00:03:

3 THINGS TO CHECK - 1ST, spark, 2ND Fuel Flow, 3rd Compression. Did you verify the battery was good? Not simply charging it but taking it to a shop to be tested. Battery must sustain a full charge under load, and when starting you need every bit of gusto it provides. Did it just click, click, click when the push button excited. If so, dead battery most likely culprit. Dan said points, but test for spark first. Next test for fuel flow, leave compression for last, but your problem is most likely one or both of the first two. You can do an archive search for spark and fuel tests. Do spark test first, then fuel, as you don't want to have raw fuel exposed when doing a spark test. When was the last time you did a tune-up? The last tine you rebuilt the carb? Farmer Dan rebuilds distributors if you need help. 6V battery does not mean it wired correctly for a 6V/POS GRN system. I suspect you have issues related to wiring and/or fuel but my guess is on the wiring. Go to our HOW-TO's and download WIRING PICTOGRAMS by JMOR and a copy of 75 Tips For N-Owners by Bruce(VA) for handy documents. Do you have an I&T FO-4 Manual? By the way, you didn't hurt anything. Avoid buying any new parts and replacing without a true root cause problem solving method. You can start with testing the battery. If it tests bad, won't hold a charge, then get a new one. Verify wiring is correct next and then do a spark test.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]