Re: Cracked 9N Axle Housing, cast iron or cast steel?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K.LaRue-VA on April 15, 2019 at 16:49:26 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Cracked 9N Axle Housing, cast iron or cast steel? posted by JP on April 12, 2019 at 11:52:53:

The N-tractor housings might as well be mild steel as far as any welded repairs have worked for me. The welding rods I have specifically for cast iron are type ESt. That is an all-position rod and the finished welds do rust, so the repair is not as noticeable as other methods. I've also used regular E6011 rods on some N-Tractor cast parts with good results. Even though I buy all-position rods, I don't weld anything upside down if there is any way to avoid it.

Anything broken is no loss to try and fix. Worst case you waste some time and make it look ugly before tossing it in the scrap pile. The main issue I see with welding or replacing the axle housing would be why it broke in the first place. Is repair or replacement going to prevent the same breakage? The original structural problem needs to be addressed either by making the repair much stronger, altering the mounting method, or removing forever the accessory that caused the problem. Maybe it broke because something shifted when that housing was cast making that area thinner than usual. Not all casting defects were caught or considered bad enough to toss the part.

A cast iron transmission I repaired in 1981 is still around. Not sure why, but I still have a 1965 Chevy cast iron 3-speed manual transmission. One mounting ear was snapped completely off, so I got it free from the junk yard, welded the ear back on, and used it in several vehicles.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]