Re: New 8n owner. Will not start

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kimberly on April 10, 2019 at 19:48:23 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: New 8n owner. Will not start posted by Timothy Little on April 09, 2019 at 16:36:30:

Better help will come with more information about your tractor. Three things needed; fuel, air, spark. The way I test for spark is to pull the plug(s) out. I then put the ignition wire on the plug and test for spark; the reason is that I want to see what the spark looks like at the plug gap; fouled plugs can cause the spark to short out and not jump the gap. With the plug out and testing with the plug, I can see how the spark is at the gap. That is important. You said new plugs but I still would want to see the spark at the gap.

With these tractors you want non-resistor plugs and you want to use solid copper ignition wires; no resister wires. You want the hottest spark you can get and resistor plugs and wires will reduce that spark.

Some on here have stated to test compression; best way is to use a compression checker; you can borrow them (with a deposit) at parts shops; Auto Zone, Advance Auto, etc. Take the plugs out, spin it over looking at the compression tester.

You could remove the carb and just spray starter fluid into the intake manifold, the nozzle on the starter fluid is going to atomise the fluid. Could be something about the carb that still isn't letting fuel reach the cylinder.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]