Leaking Hub Seal

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kimberly on March 29, 2019 at 14:38:39 [URL] [DELETE] :

I hope I am not posting too many messages.

I have noticed oil stains on the left rear wheel for some time now. I don't think it is a heavy leak. This has worried me for some time because I don't think I can handle this job due to the wheel. For one, if the wheel fell on me, I could be under it for a week before anyone would come looking to see what happened to me. I was told these wheels are heavy; there isn't any fluid in the tyre at the moment. The other thing is that I read you have to torque the nut to 400 lbs-foot. I have no way to do that. I don't have a torque wrench that goes that high. And if I did, I am not strong enough to apply that amount of force; it was all I could do to torque the crank bolt on my car when I had to replace a bad sensor behind the harmonic balancer.

I guess I will need to save up and try to find a tractor shop that understands these old machines; like how to preload the bearing properly. I understand that the oil can get on the brakes, not sure when the last time brake work would have been done. Dad might have done it when he had new rims put on the rear wheels; the centres are original. However, that was a long time ago.

With that said, my question is about the UTF fluid. If I go with the UTF fluid instead of the 90W gear oil that was in the tractor, will it exacerbate the problem?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]