Original Cylinder Versus After-market

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kimberly on March 27, 2019 at 12:18:24 [URL] [DELETE] :

The history of the tractor is starting to come together. The lift was worked on some 20 years ago. At that time a new control rod, new cylinder, and new piston was installed in the lift. The pump was also rebuilt using a kit from Steiner Tractors. The draft control on the tractor has never worked for me. I did all the ploughing with the position control keeping one hand on the control lever in case the plough got bogged down. I am hoping that I can get the draft control to work. I am looking at the parts that work for that; I am going to remove the draft control yoke; I got a used one, and examine the plate as I see they can become worn where the control spring makes contact. I know I need to be careful; use heat etc, to remove the yoke. If I can't remove it without fear of breaking something I may leave well enough alone. Any advice on removing the yoke will be appreciated.

The other thing I read in Tim's article on repair is that the cylinder needs to have the dimple for the draft control assembly to clear. On the after-mnarket cylinder, the dimple is very slight. I am wondering if it is enough or if I need to take the grinder to the cylinder and match the dimple on the original. I have not decided to reuse it or not at this time. I did return the control rod so I will have that money to apply to other parts. Here is a photo of the cylinders.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]