In Reply to: Re: The Old Girl Wouldn't Start. posted by 49er swGA on March 17, 2019 at 13:33:15:
I don't know about the trick; I guess the idea is to wash out the crap. My battery was reading a bit over 4 volts which meant a shorted cell. There is a small space at the bottom of the cells and sometimes the sulphate craps builds up and shorts the cells out; or something like that. Since the battery was bad; lightly bumping it on the ground was not going to hurt. However, I know the battery is at end of life.
However, I just wanted to point out that with all the rains some of us have been having, moisture can creep inside the distributor cap keeping one from having a good hot spark.