Re: 8N is so dependable

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on February 12, 2019 at 05:43:59 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 8N is so dependable posted by lonestarjeff on February 11, 2019 at 19:09:54:

HiYa Jeff-
Cool beans! One of the beauties of these old Fords is that they are ALL workhorses. The more you run them, the more they want to keep working. It's been said that one reason why at some tractor shows we see very few Fords is that they are all out in the fields still working! I like your Ferguson Transport Box/Milk Hauler too. Those things did not use a top link. My early '48 8N has always been 6V/POS GRN and always started in cold weather and even when I used to store it outside tarped up. PM is the key to any machine. Just some advice - "...I pulled solenoid off -looks kaput...". Don't be quick to judge by external looks. The solenoid is an electrical switch so all functions occur internally. You can only keep the wires/terminal connections clean, bright, and tight externally. You need to test the starter before making any decisions and just replacing parts without a true root cause problem solving method isn't logical. Check the battery first, then the wiring. There is a no-load starter test in the FO-4 manual, and is probably the same in the F-20 manual to test the starter motor. Each test, if fails, states to rebuild the starter. Most non-starting issues are due to mucked up wiring.

Tim *PloughNman* Daley(MI)

*9N653I* & *8NI55I3*

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]