Re: bad ringgear

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on January 31, 2019 at 07:56:43 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: bad ringgear posted by K.LaRue-VA on January 30, 2019 at 10:38:30:

I was supervisor of NC turning department and processed/machined Ford service 6375 flywheels for 20 years and we did the complete manufacturing operations like drilling, tapping, refacing, ringgear assembling, balancing, and packing. The flywheel ringgear diameter is +/- .002" and the ringgear ID is .060" under the nominal OD size of flywheel. Ringgears were heated in gas oven and assembled by a human. The time in the oven was regulated because if it got too hot the gear would warp and not seat properly. The OEM drawing defined an ID chamfer on one side of the ringgear and that side was designated to be assembled face down on ring gear seat of flywheel. The reason why is the flywheel had a .015" max radius and if ringgear was upside down would not seat properly. After they cooled, a human worker went over each one with a 5# steel hammer and a steel punch and if the ringgear was not seated had to pound it down flush. Todays aftermarket gears are made with the chamfer on both sides so it doesn't matter, but I'd look to be sure. After ringgear was installed, the assembled flywheels came back to my turning department for the refacing operation for the clutch plate surface. That face had to be perpendicular to the crank bore within .005", runout of clutch face within .005" TIR, clutch face maximum concaveness at .005" and a convex face not allowed. I can't speak of todays' aftermarket ringgear quality, but probably not but a few suppliers of them.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]