Re: Another look at the resistor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jack - Iowa on January 25, 2019 at 14:26:25 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Another look at the resistor posted by Tim Daley(MI) on January 25, 2019 at 09:41:15:

Tim,

You are not the only one to make an error! I referred to my previous post but that was on another thread! Below is what I posted:

The purpose of the ballast resistor is to drop the voltage to the coil. It is constructed of a wire with a high temperature coefficient.

When cold, the resistor is quite low allowing maximum voltage to the coil for starting purposes.

It soon warms up which lowers the voltage to the coil and thus reduces the current through it and the heat it must dissipate.

Some coils are built with internal resistance which in effect does the same thing. Those coils generally are marked: NO RESISTOR REQUIRED or something like INTERNAL RESISTOR.

If your coil does not have those markings you likely need the ballast resistor to keep the coil from burning up.

Many years of automobiles were built with a switch section on the starter switch or solenoid which by-passed the ballast resistor for starting. You can do the same thing on your N by holding a quarter across the resistor terminals.

Hope this helps to clear up some of the confusion and misunderstanding.

Jack

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]