Re: 9N Spark/No Spark

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on January 23, 2019 at 07:33:03 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: 9N Spark/No Spark posted by John Parker on January 22, 2019 at 20:16:25:

OK - good start John. Lets back up a bit. Verify fuel flow test passes or fails so a the fuel flow issue can be identified or eliminated. Wait several hours to do any live electrical/spark testing - you don’t want a fire igniting from any spilled fuel. You have a VOM, digital hopefully, so I suggest to pull distributor off, go thru it thoroughly per Bruce(VA)'s rebuild and continuity testing instructions before it gets re-mounted. Our good friend Farmer Dan (Howe) is currently constructing a unique front mount distributor testing/application gage that will also verify if the coil and condenser are good or bad. Dan also has a half dozen front mount distributors already rebuilt with quality Blue Streak Points, fully tested, and ready to go. If you want a quality OEM rebuilt distributor, contact Dan. Now, I've done many front mount rebuilds in my time and have never encountered one with overly sloppy cam weight bushings and had to replace them. I've never seen/had one with more than maybe .005" - .015" wiggle room at most so have never had to replace any. That doesn't mean others have not had the same luck, I'm just saying I don't think your cam bushing was the root cause problem unless it was very worn and sloppy. I suspect you have a wiring issue for sure and it's just a matter of pinpointing the true root cause/area. Is your generator the OEM 1-WIRE/3-BRUSH unit? Is the Cutout in the circuit? Is the starter motor the OEM 1-Wire unit or does it have a solenoid attached? If the latter, the that means the OEM wiring has changed. Rebuilding the starter and generator should not be an issue unless done incorrectly. Once distributor passes and is re-mounted, get the lights disconnected and out of the circuit for now. BEFORE cranking engine, go thru the wiring –not just a visual check or color code check –colors mean nothing. Use a fully charged, fully tested battery. Simply putting a charge on a battery does not mean it is good to go. The battery must sustain a full charge under load, measured by the specific gravity on each cell. Get a copy of WIRING PICTOGRAMS BY JMOR from our HOW-TO’S forum –see LINK below. Locate your 9N setup and use the previous original diagrams I posted or if you have them, are also in the SERVICE and FO-4 manual as your wiring guides.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]