Ford gas take cleaning

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles Krammin on January 02, 2019 at 07:53:10 [URL] [DELETE] :

I just finished cleaning my Ford 600 gas tank and discovered the following necessity of doing it as a maintenance requirement. I have been having issues of "running out of gas", during bumpie conditions. Setting a while would cure the problem-temporarily. What I discovered was that in 60 years, the accumation of "crud" in the gas tank was plugging the screen inside the tank. Setting for a while, would allow this crud to float back to the bottom of the tank.
There is a Ford engineering problem with this issue. The engineers have two similiar small mesh screens-One inside the tank and one on the top of the sediment bowl. The one at the sediment bowl was the only one necessary, and then you could view and clean the sediment bowl routinely.
You can see the screen inside the tank, thru the fill hole. Instead of taking the tank off to remove the turn off and drain, it should be possible to temporily remove the tank screen-a screw driver on the screw and then some type of "forceps" to remove the brass cover and screen.
The screen in the tank should have been a larger mesh to just stop crud the size of the outlet, to stop big sized crud, from plugging the outlet hole as an example "Bees bodies", which are 3/8" diameter.
I have experienced gas cans that somebody forgot to "replace the covers' and all kinds of things get inside the tank-bees, rust, water etc.
This issue might also be present in later model Fords.
Charles Krammin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]