1952 8N s/n 499985 6 volt Rotor & Cap

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles E. Carroll on December 27, 2018 at 18:30:57 [URL] [DELETE] :

I have purchased several rotor/cap assemblies from Tractor Supply, always making sure I read the application. In the past several years, after cap & rotor replacement the tractor starts fine and I use it off and on for a couple months. Suddenly it will quit. So this time, knowing I had replaced the distributor parts, I started at the key and went through all the wires. No start. Drug it into the garage for a long stay and started from one end to the other. I went to TS and purchased a rotor and cap. Did not replace the points. Checked the gap and burnished. Hit the starter and varoom. But, being in the garage I could hear a click, click, click. Then bam, it stopped. Looked in the distributor and the rotor was in pieces. Taped it back together and compared with the old rotor. It looks like the rotor does not go down on the dist shaft and hits the top of the cap. I can see where the rotor was grinding away. Looked at my old cap and same thing. It ground away until there was interruption of spark.
That TS Rotor will not go down far enough to clear the cap.
I'm not sure what is going on but I'm off 20 miles to TS tomorrow. Probably wont get an answer from them.
One other thing, don't know if it means anything. My old rotor had a 1 stamped on it. The TS rotor had a "2".

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]