Re: Are You Kidding Me

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony C on November 03, 2018 at 17:22:34 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Are You Kidding Me posted by Dean on November 02, 2018 at 16:09:49:

Maybe not worth $5300 but hard to tell the overall condition without a more complete description

WHen I lived in the Badger a golf course near us had a 9n with a Freeman loader. I saw it one day and was talking with the groundskeeper and bitching about how hard it was crawling through the boars nest of tubing to get on and off the Ford on the dairy where I worked at the time, particularly in winter wearing mitts, a parka and Sorels.

He let me try it just to show off I guess. Don't remember if the hydraulic pump was a side mount Vickers or crank driven but the hydraulics were fast and positive. I thought about that Freeman every time I had to do any work on the 9n with the Dearborn loader mounted. We dismounted it in the summer, which is another operation that teaches patience and humility.

As for selling a machine I had no trouble selling my bare bones 2n for $2000. Two days on CL I got an email and later a phone calls from a fellow a couple of hundred miles away. A couple of days later he and a buddy showed up. A quick trip around the shop and a fast lap around our circle drive right onto his trailer. He gave me the money. Location, location, location I guess.

A neighbor has a Fergie with a Dearborn loader and AM drag box. Price was $3500. He was the first with the money. Nice using machine. I help him with maintenance and cuss the loader every time I have work on the engine and it has an alligator hood.

I don't put a lot of stock in the "It ain't worth it, I bought mine for $200 and am still running it." Unless you are looking for a machine or anything else for that matter pass it by if you think it isn't worth the asking price. Criticism and sarcasm are endemic on these forums whether cars, guns, machine tools, tractors, military vehicles or kitchen gadgets.

It will be interesting to see what the '39 9n at the "Gone Farmin" sale goes for next week. If I find out early I'll post the result. I have forgotten if it's a "No Reserve" sale. If it's got a reserve and doesn't sell it will be interesting to see what the stall price was, pretty much an indicator of value.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]