Loosin' Interest

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on October 31, 2018 at 13:09:14 [URL] [DELETE] :

Folks, the barn has turned orange, I'm getting old, and loosing interest in working on old tractors.

Yesterday, my low hour 52 with Sherman combination let me down while I was dragging ash trees to brush piles for future burning.

After shutting it down for a few minutes to cut up and stack, the starter just clunked when I tried to restart it. OK, no problem, it's on a hill and I can push it enough to get it to roll downhill and bump start it. Then I can finish my ash work without shutting it off, drive it to the barn and find out what's wrong. Nope, tires just slid even in OD 4th. Maybe, the starter drive is locked into the ring gear???

Walked to barn, got one of the orange tractors with FEL and 4-in-1 bucket to finish brush work then pulled the 52 onto the pavement. Working alone so time consuming to tow tractor to pavement. Maybe can unlock starter drive by rocking tractor back and forth in OD 4th. Nope.

Towed 52 to barn with orange tractor. Challenging as needed to first tow uphill and then downhill. Transmissions (both) in neutral, brakes set to drag a bit to prevent to overhauling orange tractor. Pull a few feet, dismount to correct steering on 52, repeat. Time consuming. Finally, in barn shop on concrete so able to push it around into position for working. OK, inside before coming rain so enough for yesterday.

Loosened starter bolts and able to unlock starter drive from flywheel. Locked hard. Pulled oil filter canister to enable removal of starter. OEM starter drive looks good. Not good.

Both starter and starter drive functional but armature turns hard. Perhaps this had something to do with inability to unlock starter drive by rocking tractor?

Damn. Locked starter caused OEM metal round can solenoid to fail. No place to get one of these anymore.

Double damn. Starter connection stud twisted off when removing copper bus bar even though little torque required. Need to disassemble starter to replace stud and inspect bushings so might as well rebuild.

Better inspect ring gear teeth. Triple damn. Couple of worn teeth on ring gear where starter drive locked. Not too bad, though. Maybe combination of teeth and tight bushing in starter caused lock?

Will overhaul starter drive, replace solenoid with replacement solenoid visually different from OEM solenoid, clean up ring gear teeth with files and reassemble.

I have more than enough orange ones with warranties to do the work, have lost interest in working on old tractors, so am not going to do so anymore.

Looks like the 52 is going to go on the block along with the 860 and, probably, the loaded 64 4000 SOS, which was going to be my retirement project.

Priorities change.

Dean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]