Re: #528

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on October 30, 2018 at 17:18:22 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: #528 posted by AL CT on October 30, 2018 at 16:17:09:

Here's what I see. Most of it is correct. It has the correct small generator and voltage regulator, smooth hubs, chromed shifter, alum grill 4-spoke steering wheel (these are most likely repops, but OK in my book), starter button on LH dash panel, double ribbed fenders, 32" hat rims, though original would have had the 6-loop rims, chrome STANT gas cap, snap-in battery cover, Donaldson Air Cleaner with correct decals. It is only missing the muffler shield. This is just from what I can see by their pictures. A better photo of the dash panel would be nice. All in all it is about the best most thoroughly correct restoration I’ve seen at auction in the past ten years. It’ll be interesting what it goes for.
What is stated wrong: The 9N was NOT the first tractor to feature the 3-pt draft control system. The1936 Ferguson-Brown Type A tractor was. That is the one Ferguson brought to Dearborn to demonstrate to Henry Ford with in November, 1938. Ferguson’s earlier tractor had a 3-pt too but no draft control. The 9N was the 1st tractor to have an efficient working 3-pt WITH draft control system. The statement that Ford wanted the schedule met, so insisted on aluminum hoods dash, and several other parts be made in aluminum is wrong. The stamping dies were wrong (this is mentioned in the longer version) and it wasn’t Edsel Ford who came to the rescue, it was Charles Sorenson whose son had a foundry so they cast the hoods there. All the ‘other parts’ were designed to made from aluminum –dash, steering box, et al so there was no urgency to cast those out of aluminum. The long story says that the 9N was “…a pretested and field proven version of the Model A…”. Huh? No doubt the tractor was field tested but none of it was based on the Model A. Consider that the Model A ha d been out of production for over ten years. Nothing on the 9N came from the Model A.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]