Re: Setting timing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K.LaRue-VA on October 21, 2018 at 12:34:13 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Setting timing posted by Farmer Dan on October 20, 2018 at 13:30:58:

This was bugging me enough that I had to go check it out. I decided to check the timing on my 2N. No idea why this was bugging me. Setting timing at the distributor has always worked fine so I never had any need to know actual degrees of advance. I wouldn't trust the accuracy of my measuring and math to drill an access hole and add timing marks to the flywheel.

Procedure:
Remove No.1 Spark plug.
Remove distributor cap.
Crank engine till rotor is near where No.1 cap terminal would be.
Stick something in spark plug hole to feel/see position of piston.
Turn engine to find point where piston begins to drop before and after TDC.
Mark those spots on the engine pulley and timing cover.
You should have two marks on pulley and one mark on timing cover.
Move engine so timing cover mark is centered between two marks on engine pulley.
Accuracy: Since I'm working alone I moved the crankshaft till I could see a mark on my probe had dropped to the same point either side of TDC. Moved engine back and forth to check the marks. My pulley marks were about 1" apart. That is roughly equivalent to 2 degrees on a pulley that is 5.5" outside diameter. Somewhere close to midway between those two points is TDC. Being very pessimistic, let's say my accuracy is plus or minus 1 degree.
Now the hard part. Get a look at the position of points and the distributor cam.
Rather than play that game, I took a sharpie, marked the rotor location on the distributor and removed the distributor.
Install timing jig made by TOH.
My rotor was pointing right at the mark I just made on the distributor housing.

Reinstall distributor, distributor cap, spark plug and fire engine to make sure I haven't messed anything up. Shouldn't since I didn't touch the points or timing adjustments.

Near as I can tell without resorting to micrometers, setting the points and distributor timing on this 2N as described in the manuals appears to result in the initial retarded timing being set to open the points at TDC.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]