Re: 8n 12v conversion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony C on October 10, 2018 at 09:59:08 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: 8n 12v conversion posted by Ultradog MN on October 10, 2018 at 04:04:33:

All very valid points, especially if you use the machine at night at low rpm. Same for a cab with a heater fan. Especially in the north when dark comes early and stays late. Same for 12v accessories. Being able to jump it in the winter is one of the greater benefits.

I lived in Barron County Wi., a hundred miles east of THe Cities where we had a forty acre patch on which I cropped hay. BOth tractors I had were 6V positive ground. I had no problem in early spring summer and early fall. Since I didn't need the machines during winter except to spread manure from the horse barn occasionally it wasn't a problem. If it was thirty degrees below no temperature I would pull start it or plug in the salamander in the shed, have a couple of cups of coffee and the tractor would start like it were summer. COmes with the territory in cold country.

If I had to use one of my tractors regularly during the winter I would have converted them and installed tank heaters no question.

I think the point I was trying to make was if you live in a moderate climate or don't need the machine during hard cold and..... the existing system is in reasonably good shape, fine. Why go through the expense when most electrical problems can be solved with tuning and a good battery, cables and grounds. If you read a lot of the posts here asking about solutions to electrical problems you will see terms like "it's been sitting all winter and I just charged tha battery ande the battery is only a few years old" or "we rebuilt the generator a couple of years ago," etc. "A few years ago" are the operant words. How many time have you cut back the insulation on a battery cable end and saw a couple inch long white fur coat on the copper. THe cable probably looked, maybe a little swollen but otherwise OK.

If I had a large farm or dairy and had need for a small tractor, you know, with a loader or blade for cleaning loafing pens, pushing snow, road maintenance etc., absolutely convert to 12V. Parts availability, inventory and reliable starting in winter, etc. Especially true if you have hired help.

If you convert to 12V it has to be done right. It's not space shuttle complex by any means but there are pitfalls especially with little experience on automotive electrics.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]