Re: Tire CaCl loading

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on October 03, 2018 at 03:08:32 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Tire CaCl loading posted by Eli Boling on October 02, 2018 at 12:30:05:

Calcium Chloride was the substance used in N's for ballast in tires back when. FORD didn't have weight sets yet. Those came out with the Hundred Series models, but some aftermarket companies offered their versions. If you don't need loaded tires, don't put anything in. I've plowed 50 acres with and without loaded tires and had no problems either way. Using a FEL may require additional ballast and larger (16") front tires. Some use used anti-freeze solution. Many radiator shops store used fluid and will usually let you have as much as you want. My issue is that it is all mixed in one container, and no doubt contains some water. Ditto for windshield washer fluid. Even new stuff sold today contains water -EPA mandated. Your tractor tires use tubes. Only radials don't need tubes. It's when the tubes begin to leak that any fluid will seep out onto the inner steel rim and if water or caustic chemicals present, will cause oxidation. All this being said, I have been using 'beet juice', aka RIMGUARD, both names patented trade names for the substance made from sugar beets, since the early/mid 1990's and have no regrets whatsoever. I don't know what 'mixed reviews' you've heard but the only negative thing I've heard is people get panicky about the price per gallon and so poo-poo the stuff. Well, I'm a very satisfied customer, have used the stuff in my work rear 11.2 x 28 tires, two different sets I might add, and never looked back. The investment I made back in 1993 has paid off well. The Ca Chl spilled in your field won't do anything but kill the weeds and any plant life. It's great stuff to spread on your gravel driveway so weeds don't grow. It is also the same stuff they spray on rural dirt roads to keep the dust down. The bottom line is if you don't need extra ballast, don't use anything. If you do, it's your tractor and investment so use whatever you wish. I just presented the facts for you, it's your decision. Here's the LINK for RIM GUARD...

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]