Re: Rims

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on August 20, 2018 at 03:05:28 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Rims posted by Theo Morris on August 19, 2018 at 19:59:53:

Theo-
We went over this in our emails. A 9.5 x 32 tire WILL NOT FIT ON A 28" RIM and vice versa. Your original 9N Hat Rims are/were 8 x 32, took a 9 x 32 tire. By 1940 Ford offered a 9 x 28 Hat Rim which used the 10 x 28 tire. Nowadays the tires are measured differently, and the 10 x 28 is now 11.2 x 28. You say your 1939 9N has 8 x 28 rims. There is no size like that and what you told me was your original hat rims had the 9 x 32 tires. Forget eBay. There are some 32 rims but they are made for John Deeres or Farmalls and they will not fit a FORD. You can get better deals at the reputable tire franchises. MILLER TIRE sells a blank 8 x 32 rim, meaning there are no lugs for the center discs -see LINK below. You would need to get some lugs made then have someone weld them on IN THE CORRECT POSITION. There are some fellas who have restored hat rims, but it's not going to be cheap, is a lot of work, and probably not worth it unless you are doing a full all original restoration. That is if it is indeed a 1939 9N. What is the serial number? What I told you yesterday seems the logical avenue to pursue. That is, contact whomever you bought the new 9.5 x 32 tires from and tell them you want to exchange them for a pair of 11.2 tires. then get a set of 9 x 28 hat Rims or a pair of the newer aftermarket 6-Loop rims and go with that. Any decent tire dealer will acknowledge your error and gladly exchange the tires for you. That is what I suggested you do yesterday in my last email. I know you are new to Ford Tractors, and there is so much to learn, but you are overthinking this. Chalk it up to Lessons Learned as well. Never buy any new parts until you know for sure old ones are defective and/or you are certain that is what you need. My offer on the 10 x28 Hat Rims still stands as well.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]