Re: Re

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony C on August 07, 2018 at 11:48:35 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Re posted by Bruce (VA) on August 06, 2018 at 10:56:57:

It got me too, Bruce.

FRom all the meandering discussions, would this be an accurate distillation? "I don't have spark at the plugs. I have current to the primary side of the coil. I overhauled the distributor, installed new electrical components, got the timing set, corrected a mistake I made assembling it (no harm no foul, we all have made mistakes). I still have no spark at the plugs. What is the solution?"

Somewhere along the line I believe David said he tested the continuity of the points and they were making and breaking properly???????????

If so, think, maybe, just maybe something in the secondary string, coil, cap or rotor maybe the problem?

He's got current to the primary side and the points are functioning as they should. I believe the condenser has been changed twice, so I'll make a leap of faith and trust the condenser. As long as he got the point gap close and didn't change the timing externally the timing should be close enough for the engine to run. and....even if the timing were way out it would still get fire in the secondary circuit. Backfire through the carb too late or turn slowly from too much advance. .005" difference in plug gap wouldn't have an effect on the existence of spark at the plug terminals. But I understand what you mean about setting the gap correctly.

Four spark plug wires failing simultaneously is virtually impossible, especially metal core wires. THe obsession with the distributor is the impediment to finding and correcting the problem which, IMHO is the coil, which are not known for their reliability, especially one sixty plus years old. I would try a known to be good coil or buy a new one. THey are inexpensive and it may be needed down the line at some point. Or find someone with a Snap On MT-335 coil tester to test it.

Or....maybe I'm way off base with the above. Hard to diagnose a problem XXXXX miles from the problem with incomplete or dissociated information.

Tony

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]