Ok, so I rebuilt a 1943 9N to use on my alpaca farm, it came with a front loader.
The engine tested out pretty good, we did a leak down test at top dead center on each cylinder. This was in lieu of a pressure test, I was told the leak could pin point issues better.
Installed a rebuilt carburetor with new linkages, Governor, converted to a 12volt system with electron ignition. The thing starts and runs like a dream, it just purrs.
I did have issue with the governor linkage being to long but this was solve by local restorer but he rarely worked on Fords.
It is way better running under load but I feel in my gut it should have more power.
I cut the pastures with a 5 foot brush hog, which works great if I am in 1st gear but tend to really bog down if the grass gets a little to thick. We are talking 12" grass with the bac of cutter about 2" higher. It is the same with most of the implements I use. The only obvious thing I noticed black soot around the tailpipe.