Seek Info - 1956 FORD 660

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on July 05, 2018 at 08:27:45 [URL] [DELETE] :

A member contacted me about his 1956 Ford 660 Air Force Moto Tug. I told him I really don't know anything about them other than the what is shown on the photo in Randy Leffingwells' book, "FORD FARM TRACTORS of the 1950's". I've seen a few of these, all Ford 660 Models, painted yellow, and with additional cab, fenders, and other parts added. The only info given is what the caption says. I further explained that it's a given they are indeed 660 Models, but I believe, like the original Ford-Ferguson Moto Tug, they were built by and outside supplier, and probably never at never at the Ford Highland Park Tractor Plant. If so, then outside vendors supplied the extra cab, fenders, and other parts, and not Ford. This is just my theory, but, as usual, show me the data. These are always listed as an "Air Force Moto Tug" but I also have to question then if they were used on military AFB's to move jets around, why the tall cab? The original Moto-Tug had a lower profile than the standard 9N on which it was built on in order to clear fighter plane and bomber wings. The original Ford-Ferguson Moto Tug was built on a 9N frame and engine at the Rouge, with the chassis & engine only, no sheet metal, being shipped down to Columbus, Ohio to a dealer who had the facility to set up an assembly line. The special armor and all other parts were supplied by outside vendors then also shipped there where they were assembled as complete Tug units. Tugs were built under contact to the US Military and many used on carriers, airports, and bases to move planes around with. The first finished model left the line in April, 1943. If you want to read the entire story, click on the LINK below. My venture continues though for an info on the 1956 660 Tugs.

FROM THE LEFFINGWELL BOOK:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]