Re: Rotary cutter wobble

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K.LaRue-VA on July 05, 2018 at 07:51:20 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Rotary cutter wobble posted by Frank (WNY) on July 04, 2018 at 11:11:12:

My 5 foot cutter has a similar problem with rotten hardware. The remains of the stump jumper pan rusted and came loose. After removing that, there is just a "T" bracket and swinging blades under there. My blade hardware is so rotten, the only way it's ever going to move is with a cutting torch. My functional problem was the blades were loose and flopping around. They would sag and hit the ground or pop up and hit the top deck. Since loosening or tightening the hardware was not happening, I turned the whole thing on edge, and added weld metal to the face of the "T" bracket until the blades were tight enough not to flop around. While I had it on edge it was easy to sharpen and balance the blades. Park the blades horizontal, the one that starts to drop is heavy, grind a little metal from that one. When I got done, the cutter ran so smooth, the only sound you could hear was air whistling past the blades.

Last time I sharpened/balanced the blades, I left it hooked to the tractor, removed the drive shaft, removed the top link, removed the bolt from the tail wheel bracket, then raised it up, and put jack stands under the front. That gave me enough room to work, and enough angle on the deck to balance the blades. I have been keeping my blades sharper than they are really supposed to be since I'm only cutting grass and weeds now.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]