Re: 8N running rough

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jeff on July 04, 2018 at 06:53:03 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: 8N running rough posted by Bruce (VA) on July 01, 2018 at 08:46:01:

Bruce, I finally got around to servicing the distributor. Problem was, NAPA ordered the wrong parts so I was unable to replace the condenser, points and rotor. One of the first things I noticed was that the points were nowhere near .015 apart in the open position. I really thought I was onto something there and decided to go ahead and re-gap the points and put it all back together. Checked for continuity as you described and timed it perfectly once I figured out what the hell they were talking about. Unfortunately this didn't fix the issue. The points and rotor looked to be in good condition, condenser I couldn't test. My dad said he replaced these items years ago but hardly used the tractor since then which is why everything still looked good. So as it stands the tractor still has that slight puff or miss sound while running and needs to have the choke pulled out slightly to run smoother. I will say it's mostly in the low RPM/idle range.

Here's another piece to the puzzle, and this may or may not be related the above mentioned issue. Whenever I use the tractor in the field, grading with a box blade in my case, it will go from running as previously described to running really, really crappy. Like sputtering and hardly running. This usually happens after about an hour or so. What I discovered, by chance, is that if I snap the throttle to wide open and back down to idle quickly it will run normally or at least what is considered normal for this tractor. This leads me to believe the governor is influencing the carb in a negative way and the "snapping" of the throttle is resetting the linkages. If so, I can only hope that the governor is the overall cause of my issues to include the need to hold the choke out slightly to run better. What do you think? Is the governor capable of such mayhem? Also, I pulled the carb and inspected each part. I also made sure each and every passage, according to diagrams on this website, were clean and clear which they were. All parts were in great condition, again because they were replaced but hardly used. I then replaced the gaskets.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]