ANSWER: This Weeks Mystery Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on July 01, 2018 at 06:15:20 [URL] [DELETE] :

My post from the other day, “Guess What I’m Doing Today?” had many incorrect answers, and as much as I love to go fishin’ with the grandkids, ‘fishing’ or a variant of that theme, was not the correct answer. About a week ago I was fishing with my grandkids down the road at the local old gravel pit/lake/pond and it struck me. As I looked down at my minnow bucket the light bulb went off in my head. Some of us remember when you could buy real carb cleaner in a can and it came with a perforated small bucket to put the parts in order to clean. It had a handle so it was easy to remove and insert into a pan or bucket of the cleaner. The last time I looked for this product it was nowhere to be found. As the light went flashing in my brain, I thought, “This is perfect!”. A minnow bucket would make for a perfect carb cleaning bucket! I went to work on it the next day. The unit is made of galvanized steel and I’ve had this one for about 25 years. It was dented in a few places so I said, why not? I’ll just buy a new one for fishing with. Now, the inside of the large bucket/container part that holds the cleaner is lined with Styrofoam. I did not want that getting in contact with carb cleaner as it would just disintegrate and possibly leave unwanted residue in carb passages. So I filled the large bucket with old snowblower gas and let it set for a few days to dissolve the Styrofoam. Then I poured it out in a old coffee can, flushed it a few times, and will use it as our bonfire starter. Voila, I now have my carb parts cleaning bucket. I’ve seen these minnow buckets at garage sales for like $1 or so. You wouldn’t have to use your good bucket or buy a new one –just look at flea markets and such. I use lacquer thinner, not the watered down carb cleaner sold today, to clean my carbs with. It works best in my opinion to get carbs clean. The new cleaning bucket can be used for other small parts as, not just carbs. I use mineral spirits for those. Just thought I’d pass this idea on as part of my ‘Hints From Heloise’ folder.

MY CARB & SMALL PARTS CLEANING IDEA:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]