NAA rear differential housing leak

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken on June 30, 2018 at 12:41:35 [URL] [DELETE] :

Hello,

I have a 1953 NAA. It has been in the family for close to 50 years. Prior to that it was used by a swimming pool company. They had a backhoe attachment on it. This resulted in the rear differential housing developing some cracks. I don't think there's a real structural issue. It just causes the gear oil to leak. Over the years attempts have been made to fix the cracks by brazing or filling with epoxy. Nothing has worked to completely seal it.

This wasn't much of an issue for years and it was just a very slow leak of gear oil. Over the past 10 years we have started using the tractor for more and more things and the leak has increased. I'm probably having to add a gallon of gear oil every couple weeks.

Last week I was running the brush hog with the tractor and the left side lower link support pin for the 3 point hitch snapped off. It appears that to replace this I'll need to remove the axle trumpet.

From what I can tell this should give me some access to the inside of the differential housing. I'm thinking this would be a good opportunity to try and seal the cracks. I would imagine there is some product I could apply to the cracks from the inside. Does anyone have thoughts about what I could use? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]