9N Problem Child

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on June 27, 2018 at 11:40:50 [URL] [DELETE] :

I own two 9Ns, The Good One and the Problem Child. The Good One does the bulk of my work with only routine maintenance. The Problem Child has been having bouts of ignition problems for years. Sometimes it was hard to start and sometimes it would lose spark all together. Following the expert and very helpful advice of some folks on this board I replaced all of the Tractor Supply ignition parts I had been using with NAPA. Problem solved, I thought. The tractor ran great doing my mowing for two seasons. The parts replaced included the coil, rotor, distributor cap, condenser, points, ballast resistor, copper core plug wires, and plugs. I put a new wiring harness on it four years ago.

I was testing a new governor I had just installed the other day and Problem Child (PC) shut down. Pulled a few plugs and determined no spark. Had voltage to the coil so I switched coils between Good One (GO) and PC. Go still runs great and PC still has no spark. Pulled the distributor housing and this is what I know so far:
- The points are clean, square, gapped to .015, and opening and closing properly
- The rotor and distributor cap are clean and look fine
- Contact points between the rotor and cap and coil and cap look fine
- The coil reads 1.5 ohms, the ballast resistor reads .5 ohms
- 6.5 volts to the top of the coil.
- Tried a spare used condenser and rotor with no change.

Any ideas on what I am missing with this troublesome tractor?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]