Re: 8N water in oil

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony C on June 25, 2018 at 12:05:24 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 8N water in oil posted by Gary Starr on June 24, 2018 at 11:56:39:

Hi Gary,

First off, good that you got rid of the antifreeze and went to plain water. Ethylene glycol will inhale bearings and it doesn't take very long.

I know this will begin a debate but..... A quality non metallic gasket installed with good quality sealer will conform and adapt to less than perfect mating surfaces, but there is a limit.

Straight edge both surfaces, You may find the head is out by a few thousandths. Be sure to check diagonally. Look for cracks obviously. If suspect a crack, dress it with a sanding block or stone, then dig at it with a small pick. You won't take a significant amount of material off. Besides it's not going into space.

Years ago before dye/developer testing guys who work with aluminum would use diesel and talcum powder to detect cracks. Clean the surface extremely well. Spray on a little diesel, then the talcum powder. Let it sit a few hours. THen buff it off using minimal pressure and maximum strokes. Dye testing is just an improved technique.The talcum powder will have gotten into the crack and you will see the residue. It's harder to see in cast iron or steel it does work. Using magnification helps too.

Or..You can try the "fix in a can" technique. I am not a fan of any additives of any kind in my cars or equipment. Maybe BarsLeaks and Silver Seal for pinhole pressure leaks. I flat don't use others.

However that said last year a buddy who has a 320C JD dozer got a belly full of water. It was a "machine's gotta go tomorrow" situation. He went to the autoparts and got a quart bottle of Blue Devil Sealer,followed the directions slavishly. I was skeptical. We flushed the system, changed the oil and filter. He deviated by adding all of it, more than the suggested amount. Let it run at high idle an hour or so. We dropped the oil while it was hot, changed the filter and refilled tha crankcase, then loaded it on the trailer and it went to work the next day. I saw him later and asked when are we going to replace the head gasket in the machine and he said no need, it's running fine. No chocolate shake in the pan. It's been several months now.

THe dye check kits are spendy. $85 or so. Blue Devil was around $55 IIRC. But... Blue Devil has a warranty. Keep the bottle and receipt. If it doesn't work return it and get your money back.

Good luck. Probably just a head gasket or warped head. Easily fixed. Unless the engine was GROSSLY overheated, frozen or overheated and shock cooled, the block should be fine.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]