Re: My first tractor (8n)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on June 24, 2018 at 04:49:16 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: My first tractor (8n) posted by Jeff on June 24, 2018 at 00:49:59:

Welcome aboard! Nice 8N ya got there. I see an original grille guard/bumper -optional dealer accessory, never an OEM stock item. You don't see many straight ones. The tires are very good. Turf tires on the rear are no longer made and good for when mowing your lawn, not so good when plowing a field. The 16" fronts were also options, intended to use with a FEL. You say it is a '48 Model so we know by that it is a front mount distributor. Next important thing to know is if it is still the original 6-VOLT/POSITIVE GROUND electrical system or has it been switched over to a 12-VOLT/NEG GRN system? Either way, if it isn't wired correctly, you will have issues. Muckin' with the choke lever to make it run could be a carb issue. When was the last time a rebuild was performed? Missing could be electrically related or fuel related. Time to do a thorough root cause problem solving procedure. You say it has been 'like this' since your dad had it. Also realize that just because some 'professional' worked on your tractor does not mean they knew about old Fords and did things correctly. Many pro car shops are OK with cars, but tractors, especially 6V/POS GRN Fords, confuse them, so the first thing they do is switch over to 12V. I don't know very many 'pro' shops who don't take shortcuts, think their methods are the way to go, and 99.98% of the time are incorrect set ups. There fellas that do know what is what are a minority these days, and most don't own their shops. We have a ton of DIY projects in our HOW-TO's forum. Suggest you A) get the essential owner/operator manuals for your 8N; B) get a copy of Brice(VA)'s "75 Tips for N-Owners"; and C) download a copy of "WIRING PICTOGRAMS by JMOR" from 'Electrical' to start with. Don't buy any new parts until root cause is determined. If you need your carb and distributor rebuilt, I can help -email is open.

FORD 8N TRACTOR ESSENTIAL OWNER/OPERATOR MANUALS:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]