Re: Ford 2 n with 12 volt system not charging

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on June 12, 2018 at 05:50:16 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Ford 2 n with 12 volt system not charging posted by Will on June 11, 2018 at 22:39:27:

How familiar are you with Ford N-Series Tractors? As a newbie you best get the essential manuals and read religiously. We have enough in our MANUALS forum to get going with: I&T F-04; 39-53 MPC, and 9N/2N Service Manual. First, are you sure you have a 2N? Does the serial number confirm? Does it have a 3-speed transmission and no POSITION CONTROL? Next, don't go buying any new parts until you've resolved the root cause/causes of the problem. My gut instinct tells me your 12-volt switch-over job is a cobbled up nightmare. 99.98% of all non-starting 12-volt jobs are due to incorrect/poor wiring jobs. SEE LINK to our HOW-TO's forum for a copy of "WIRING PICTOGRAMS by JMOR" as he has documented all the CORRECT ways to wire these old N's regardless of whether original 6V/POS GRN or a 12V/NEG GRN job. How does a longer ground strap help? Having the correct gauge battery cables is part of the equation, but for now you are going to do some other tests and investigating starting with battery and wiring. First of all NO 2N tractors ever used a voltage regulator. Only the first early 9N models did with the small 9N-10000-A generator. The early 1940 generator was changed and then used the round can cutout up until 8N production. No matter, with a correct 12V job w/alternator, there is no voltage regulator or cutout circuit used. When the 8N was released, it then had a new generator and used a voltage regulator. Get your battery tested at a reliable shop. If it tests bad, buy a new decent brand model like INTERSTATE, DEKA, or EXIDE. 6V = GRP-1; 12V = GRP-25 or GRP-35. You or a qualified person are going to go thru the entire wiring system while your battery gets tested. Perform continuity test with a meter or test light and never assume wiring color codes are correct. Disconnect battery when working on electrical system –you don’t need nor want power to test continuity. I suggest if you have lights to disconnect them as well –you can reconnect when all else is corrected. Get a copy of Bruce(VA)’s “75 Tips for N-Owners” as well as the essential manuals and wiring documents to begin your quest.

FORD N-SERIES TRACTOR 9N/2N ESSENTIAL OWNER MANUALS:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]