Re: Rear Wheel Removal and Handling

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TonyC on June 07, 2018 at 10:36:02 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Rear Wheel Removal and Handling posted by Kimberly on June 06, 2018 at 14:19:37:

Soda blasting (wet 0r dry) will not work on rust. I did three frame on Car restorations and while soda blasting did the best job overall, Separate operations to remove rust were necessary to prepare for prime and paint. No distortion, smooth surface (needed scuffing to prime) media blasting and sand blasting did the best job on rusty panels and frames. I did strip a body and fenders of a '37 Cad with a Harbor Freight portable tank sand blaster. Hooked my 5hp CH portable gasoline powered compressor to my 2hp shop air compressor and it did a good job, messy but good.

Soda blasting is not a home gamer operation. Unless using a machine with water injection the dust cloud created looks the atom bomb tests in St George, Utah. A decent sized blast rig requires high air pressure and a high Cubic ft/ minute flow rate. THe small ones are OK for tiny to small work but even with a 150 psi 30 gallon tank compressor you will spend more time waiting for the compressor to fill than you will blasting the surfaces. Then there is cleanup.

Quickest, easiest and least expensive but most labor intensive is to wire brush and sand off as much rust as you can, then use a rust converter/sealer like CerroSeal RustNoMore or one of the POR products, prep, prime with a good etching primer paint, nip the runs, color sand and buff. Just kidding about the color sanding. It's a farm tractor.

Tony

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]