Re: gas tank

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K.LaRue-VA on June 01, 2018 at 09:10:30 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: gas tank posted by ron knight on May 31, 2018 at 19:17:24:

1 - The radiator neck sticks thru a hole in the hood, so the hood can't tilt, unless that is solved.
2 - Headlight wires can be re-routed on the engine, down to the hinge point, and up to the lights, so the wires don't get stretched, or have to be unplugged to tilt the hood.
3 - Fuel tank is a problem. Rerouting the fuel line similar to the headlights, and providing a flexible piece at the hinge point, would most likely require adding a fuel pump. It would still gravity feed, but the additional length and bends would severely restrict flow. Leaving the tank in place, with a new set of brackets, would basically defeat the purpose of making the hood tilt.

This is what I came up with for my V8 conversion:

1-The tank is a 5 gallon steel tank intended for a small generator. The tank had to be relocated anyway, since it would not fit over the V8 carb.
2-The radiator is mounted lower, in front of the axle carrier, so the radiator cap is accessed when the hood is raised. The original radiator cap became a hood ornament.
3-The V8 already had a fuel pump, but the fuel line ended up being very short, since the tank does not move.
4-The original fuel door is welded to the hood. The original battery/fuel door latch is what secures the hood when closed.
5-The battery still fits in the original location, barely. It may be changed to a side post type to make it easier to attach battery cables.
6-The hood sits at the original height, but had to be stretched 9 inches longer. I used two old beat-up hoods to make one rat-rod hood. I'm still on the fence about doing body work and a nice paint job, or replacing the dog legs with ratty ones and staying with the rat rod look.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]