Re: Mighty Mac crossing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony C on May 18, 2018 at 09:49:10 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Mighty Mac crossing posted by Tim Daley(MI) on May 18, 2018 at 07:08:25:

My parents were split on it. My mom pronounced it "Catsup". My dad "Ketchup. If I recall some brands, Del Monte IIRC. labelled their product Catsup". Heinz has always labelled theirs Ketchup. I didn't take time to research the etymology of the word, so I have no idea of its origins.

Or how about this? Sauna. Is it sawna with a soft a or SOW na long o, two syllables? Most of the Scandinavians I knew used the latter pronunciation. At some point it became anglicized. I use the second pronunciation

SevenUp and Vernors' are pops.

Henry Ford was known for production shortcuts to save money. One strategy was spec weird patterns and hole centers for the shipping crates used in transporting components between plants and divisions. The crates were dismantled at their destination and became cowls, dashboards and floorboards, for the Ts. Waste not want not, but his penury hurt the company later in his life.

Discussion has gone pretty far afield. It's been fun. BUt.......Time to go out and check how effective muriatic acid has been in dissolving the rust in the fuel tank. I'm waiting on a fuel shut off. The bronze shut off I have leaks. I took it apart, polished the surfaces and shimmed the spring so there would be more tension. No luck. No, it does not have a packing gland, packing, O rings etc. Then install tank. Respray a bad spot on one of the hood sides. Flop the hood on and it's done. Decals and data plate next week.

Tony

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]