Re: maintinence

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on April 12, 2018 at 16:20:05 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: maintinence posted by Frank (WNY) on April 12, 2018 at 10:17:47:

HiYa Frank-
First, thank you for referencing my article, glad it was of some help. I wish I would have added a bit more information like cam follower pin and control spring adjustment. Perhaps a Volume II is in order. Next, torque values are used on the fastener itself, NOT the device or part being fastened. The value is also based on the type of material or grade of steel the nut or bolt is composed of AND the thread size. We have a handy reference chart to download in our HOW-TO's, under GENERAL, or just click on the link below. If a fastener is required to be at a certain torque value, it will be listed in the manuals, mainly the repair/technical ones like the I&T F-04 and Ford Service Manuals. Some items are more important than others like cylinder head, bearing caps and rods, and the flywheel fasteners. You can find a chart listed in the back of the lime-green Ford 8N Service Manual along with all the other technical specifications. We offer that manual in DVD form on our SUPPORT page for a modest donation if you don't have one. Torque is often an overrated term by engineers. Add the fact that many folks do not know how to correctly use a torque wrench. Most decent torque wrenches have more than one scale and could be any one or combination of; Inch-Ounces; Inch-Pounds; Foot-Pounds; Meter-Kilograms≥; and Newton Meters. One must know what scale is to be used and how to calculate from one to another. For any fastener, common sense usually will win out. Never overtighten anything. No need to get crazy stupid with a 4-foot long galvanized fence post on a wrench to tighten. As far as that 45 FT-LB comment, I don't know where it came from as I briefly looked in my manuals and did not see it. 49 FT-LBs is around the spec for a 7/16-14 fastener, somewhere between a Grade 2 and a Grade 5 so I suppose that is what the person was conveying. The bolts that fasten the side inspection covers on are 7/16-14, probably Grade 5 or 8. The issue with the side covers is they are made of aluminum and when the paper gasket fails, oil will start to leak around the outside of the covers. Often fellas will reef down on the bolts with a wrench and breaker bar and this probably distorts the aluminum more and unevenly creating more of a leaking issue. My advice is if a torque value isn't critical and listed in the spec manual, go by the industry standard chart for fasteners, or better yet, just use plain old common sense and trust your own strength. Don't know your own strength? If real ambitious, you can make a practice gage with several different tapped holes and install bolts and studs and with nuts. Install the fasteners and set to their required torque values. Then using your own standard tools, wrench on them to get what mechanics call 'the feel'. I'd use both open end wrenches and socket wrenches. Also, try tightening a nut or bolt with your wrench, the n use your torque wrench to see how close you are. You could do the same on any fastener on the tractor and no need for an application gage, but just a thought. When you get your chart done, just send it to Tyler and he will post it on the HOW-TO's forum.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]