Re: Radiator Leaks -Opinions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K.LaRue-VA on March 30, 2018 at 12:09:32 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Radiator Leaks -Opinions posted by Tim Daley(MI) on March 30, 2018 at 08:52:42:

I normally avoid all the mechanic-in-a-can solutions. They generally don't work and make a bigger problem to fix later. But there are always exceptions. Many years ago, my sister was driving a beat-up car with well over 100k miles. It may have been over 200k. She couldn't afford anything better, and couldn't afford to have a real mechanic do any service on it. A rock knocked a tiny hole in the radiator when she was a few hundred miles from home. She called me knowing even though it hadn't overheated yet, no way would it make it all the way home with steam coming out the front. I made no guarantees, but suggested she go to a parts store, get a container of Bars Leaks, a jug of pre-mix 50:50 antifreeze to top off, and to PLEASE wait till it cools off before trying to remove the radiator cap. I thought she would call me back in a few minutes needing instructions, but she found a parts store with someone who actually had what she needed, and was very helpful. He said the same thing I did, "no guarantees". She headed home, never saw another whiff of steam, and drove that car for several more years with the same radiator in it. If it was my car, I would have yanked the radiator first chance I had, and take it to a shop to be fixed or replaced.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]