Re: Tractor Dies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce(OR) on March 01, 2018 at 23:54:47 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Tractor Dies posted by 36 coupe on March 01, 2018 at 05:17:29:

The alternator makes alternating electricity. It uses diodes to convert it to direct current. That being the reason it is called an "Alternator". The alternator uses constant reference voltage and then diodes to convert alternating electricity to old fashioned direct current. I have seen an alt disconnected with the engine running and generate about 400 amps at 27 volts.
That simplistic generator does just that. It generates. It does not need a reference voltage to "generate".
So if the battery gets pulled on an alt, the alternator will full field and can possibly blow out the electrical system. Been there, done that. Same trick on a generator and they can keep running. Time for me to take my wrong self to bed. 147 day's to retirement from work and then maybe I can work on something else. Perhaps more so, "Volunteer".
God Bless!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL:
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]