Re: starter button

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on February 21, 2018 at 21:20:42 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: starter button posted by 2NTony on February 19, 2018 at 22:01:18:

Tony, Mark here, NEW GUY to N repair so you get a money back guarantee with any advice I give you! I just restored my 9N back to starter button ops after someone bypassed it with key start. I had the same question you asked, but solved my problem with glued penny's found, but I did find a "nut" on the starter button rod. Here's my story...sorry it's longwinded, but I can't help myself. My buddy and I started at the switch. Finding no continuity at the switch, we removed the switch and disassembled it carefully using a spade punch where the housing was crimped. Cleaned the original copper connection and reassembled...had continuity! Then removed the starter button and stared at it with the "deer in the headlights look as there was a loose nut on the rod (luckily didn't fall into transmission." Looking down into the hole I saw what appeared to be two pieces of black metal with a space between for the starter button's rod to go through (bell cranck). Pushing down on the starter button I observed a shoulder coming out of the starter button case. Someone in the past had put a nut with ID to fit over the rod and enough OD to catch on the starter button shoulder, but not interfere with threading the starter button into the housing. I reinstalled the starter button and upon pushing it had continuity at the switch. Good luck with your project!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL:
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]