Re: starter button

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K.LaRue-VA on February 20, 2018 at 20:35:03 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: starter button posted by 2NTony on February 19, 2018 at 22:01:18:

My 2N had 4 pennies glued to the end of the rod. There wasn't enough wear in the button linkage to make the rod that short. I took the switch apart. The plastic used in the cheap replacement switches melts at too low a temperature. Cranking for more than a few seconds melts the plastic, allowing the contacts to move deeper into the insulating plastic. Eventually one of three things will happen, the contacts will become buried and insulated in plastic, the rod will become too short, or the contacts will short out on the metal case of the switch. Keep adding pennies to extend the rod and that leaves the other two failures. If the switch shorts-out, this may only fry the battery and cables. It could burn the tractor and whatever is near it. I bought the "just like original" start switch made by Dennis Carpenter. I removed all the pennies. It has been working for more than seven years with no pennies.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL:
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]