Re: 52 8N front grill latches

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on January 02, 2018 at 07:49:23 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 52 8N front grill latches posted by Mike D on January 01, 2018 at 15:04:34:

HiYa Mike-
What exactly is worn -the pins or the dogleg pilot holes? Have you tried to spray the latches with WD-40, LIQUID WRENCH, or PB BLASTER? If the pins won't stay engaged, it could be the dogleg pilot holes are wallowed out. Years ago I smashed up my grille while mowing, ran into a tree, long story so don't ask, and had to replace the radiator and straighten the grille to use. It was, and still is on my 8N, but never was exactly right and one of the spring-loaded latch pins never engages right. I keep it tied up with wire ties. I did purchase a decent used original 8N grille but have never put it on. I'm waiting until I do a complete restoration upon retiring the 8N for good. I can understand not wanting to invest in a new Dennis Carpenter 'like original' 8N grille repop at $295, but have heard nothing but positive responses from fellas who have bought them. There are some very cheaply made, wanna-bees out there that do have fit and function issues so it does matter where and who you buy from. As mentioned, my second option also would be to find a used one on fleabay. It may be rusty and or slightly bent but you could swap out or try to just salvage the spring-loaded latches and swap out your worn ones. I don't think anyone repops just the latches, at least none I've seen. If you do decide to buy a used one, be sure it an 8N grille, p/n 8N-8204, as it was one of the many new changes made on the new 8N Model -the flip down grille for easy cleaning of radiator fins. The 9N/2N grilles are permanently fixed and do not flip.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]