Re: More on oil

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on December 22, 2017 at 11:17:22 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: More on oil posted by TheOldHokie on December 22, 2017 at 07:40:08:

Dan -thanks. That sums it up perfectly. The oil debate will go on perpetually it seems, but the facts are there if like you, one wants to dig deep. Gas and oil products today are much better than they were in the 30's, 40's, 50's, and even 60's and 70's. FORD original spec of SAE-10, 20, and 30 straight oil was because that is all the was pretty much available and used. When I first got my early '48 8N in 1990, I also received the original Operator's Manual with it. I was the 2nd owner, tractor was all original from a potato farmer in Canada. The manual said SAE-030 oil so that is what I used for many years -straight, non-detergent SAE-30 oil. In winter I changed to SAE-20. Then I was told by an old retired Ford mechanic that today's non-detergent oil is made from recycled oil. I don't know if that is true, seems I did some research on it back then but don't remember. Whatever, the debate on detergent oil and sulfur additives harming your engine will be eternally debated so thanks for making these facts available. Now, one only has to search the archives with 'oil + TOH' in the search box and get these results. I know you have posted this info before as well. Heck, when my engine was worn out, it ran thru oil like mad. I only was using the tractor to mow 5-10 acres at the time and would take my old oil from my F-250 oil changes and pour it in the tractor when I mowed. Any oil is better than no oil. Next we'll be rehashing hydraulic oil...again and again...

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]