Re: hard starting

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug in Maine on December 20, 2017 at 15:27:30 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: hard starting posted by Bruce (VA) on December 20, 2017 at 10:34:33:

She runs! A couple of things about that. In all the years I've messed with this tractor, and many hours on this forum, I didn't know about the main jet setting being so open, particularly in winter. That knowledge would have saved me many hours over the years. Two and a half turns out. She actually wanted to start with no choke but in the end it took a little, and several attempts. Your starting procedure outlined above was spot on.
I found an old plug and opened it up to about 1/4" and got great spark.
The bendix needs replacement or rebuilding. We have a starter shop right here in town and I'll probably take it to them. They've done a lot of good work for me over the years and they do all the starters, generator, alternaters for the local Ford/New Holland place. That said if it's a simple fix, and you can coach me through it, maybe it would be best if I did it myself. That way I have some control over when and how long the tractor is out of service.
Bottom line is "Thank You" Bruce, the other guy that answered to my problem that put me on to the solution, and this awesome forum. Merry Christmas.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]