Re: 9n starting problem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on November 22, 2017 at 20:08:06 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 9n starting problem posted by Carl on November 22, 2017 at 15:42:53:

I don't know what a '3-wire prestolite' system is, but something nags at me that could be your root cause problem. You meant to say front mount distributor, not front coil. We have a ton of good info in our HOW-TO's forum and one is this excellent document put together by long time member JMOR on all the CORRECT possible ways to wire these old N's. SEE LINK below and download a copy for yourself to use in the shop. Something shorted out and/or drained your battery. How old is it? As suggested take to a starter shop and get it bench tested. It must sustain a charge under load and they have the test equipment to do it. Next will be to go thru ALL the wiring using the Pictogram that fits your setup. If you have lights, I suggest you disconnect them from the circuit temporarily to eliminate them from the equation. If you do need anew battery many suggest a good brand, not the cheap bargain house brands. It wouldn't hurt to invest in the correct manuals too for your 9N. The I&T F-04 manual and the '39-'53 Master Parts Catalog are essential. Copies are sold at most all Ford Tractor Part suppliers.

FORD 9N OWNER ESSENTIAL MANUALS:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]