Re: 1948 8n starter

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony on November 19, 2017 at 12:06:43 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: 1948 8n starter posted by Tim Daley(MI) on November 19, 2017 at 05:40:22:

Hi Tim,

A 12v battery used with a 6v starter will do the job for along time if the 12v is fully charged you don't grind on it without starting until it groans and quits. If an engine doesn't start after a short time there is something wrong.

Over the years I installed 6/12 batteries in 6v cars. THe kits came with a special battery, and series parallel switch which allows starting on twelve and charging on six. In series for start, parallel for charging. You can duplicate the system by using two 6v batteries a series parallel switch wired correctly. BUt space was a critical component in the older cars. I did an install in a '53 Ford pickup using two batteries. Plenty of room in the engine compartment.

I never had a problem with my own cars nor did I get feedback that a starter failed on one of my installations.

I know of four ton (IIRC) shop crane that used a 6v starter driven by a 12v battery hooked to a reversing switch, and gear reducer powering a chain driven carriage running on four cast iron wheels. Total travel was about twelve feet. Battery mounted on the post. Sometimes when we needed extra snoose we hooked a charger on boost to it. Worked fine for years.

Tony

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]