Re: My 8N Tractor In AD

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SelectOSpeed on November 15, 2017 at 20:39:39 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: My 8N Tractor In AD posted by Mike Johnston on November 15, 2017 at 17:25:04:

A true Gold Demonstrator SOS would have a serial range in the low 58000s to possibly low 60000s. Ford Tractor Lore has it that each dealer got One. I've never found out a definite number of how many dealers existed when the Gold Demos were introduced in early 1959. (January/February). Keep in mind that the early Demo transmissions failed almost instantly. Some were upgraded by FoMoCo,and some were replaced with a complete new improved transmission. Although Ford had very explicit instructions to transfer the serial number to the case of the replacement, unfortunately some were not done by dealers. A replacement transmission also had additional number and letter codes stamped into the Right side of the trans case. Whatever those codes denoted are lost to history now. Also owing to the lapse of time and the ruthless hand of ignorance, many trans swaps were done with no thought of serial numbers being transferred. Another way to determine an approximate build date or year model is to look at the top radiator tank on the right hand side near the front edge of it. IF it is the original Ford top tank, there is a month and year stamp in it. Also the ORIGINAL mufflers had a month and year stamp near the stamped FoMoCo Oval. Gasoline powered tractor mufflers did not have a high survival rate, but Diesels did. The Genuine FoMoCo Replacement mufflers however DID NOT have the month and year stamping. On another note I have a late 1958 851D that has the boss on the right hand hood side panel for the SOS PTO cable/handle. This tractor has a radiator and muffler stamping of 7-58 on both. I believe this tractor was built in late August or early September of 1958. HTH. SoS.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]