Re: New winter coat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on November 06, 2017 at 07:34:03 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: New winter coat posted by Farmer Dan on November 03, 2017 at 08:37:03:

I don't have any pictures to show but when I was storing my 8N outside, I used a canvas tarp first that I bought when I first got my 8N in 1990. I make sure it covers the grille and engine sides, bungy cord it good and tight. Next, I cover the entire tractor with a nylon/plastic tarp that I bolted two 2 x 4's to each side thru the grommets. That helped keep it weighted down so the wind didn't pull it loose. It is very important to keep the rubber tires protected from the sun and elements as well. Sunlight (UV Rays) will ruin tires prematurely as it pulls the oils out of the rubber. We call it weather checking. My early 9N had new 9.5 x 32 tires on it when I got it from the family farm, but I had no place to store it but outside. It sat tarped but tires were exposed and thus I now I have extremely weather checked tires that saw little actual use. The tractor also sat on bare ground -a no-no if going to set a while. Always place boards under the tires so they are up off the ground. That 'tire protectant' stuff they sell is garbage too -don't waste your money on it as it will cause premature rot too.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]