Re: 2n cooling issue

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tony on November 05, 2017 at 11:46:24 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 2n cooling issue posted by Steve Frysinger on November 04, 2017 at 15:44:48:

No stat, no flow through the radiator. It's plugged.

It is possible that the water pump were bad, impeller free of the shaft but if the machine were mine I would do the following.

Quick check: You did the first check. If feel around the edges. For some unknown reason to me the center is the last to plug. If more than a third of the radiator is plugged (cold)probably best to replace it. I've seen them online for $130. FOr an occasional use machine you aren't making a living with one of the inexpensive ones will be fine. For a working revenue producing machine, Modine, Harrison, Behr-Nissin, Ford/New Holland would be my choice.

So.... on with the test. Lower hose port plugged,top hose plugged, fill the radiator, pull the plug off the bottom hose, watch the flow.

The modern AutoZone, etc "flushes" aren't. FLeetpride makes a very strong flush but is expensive and only comes in gallons. Additionally.... it will find weak spots in the metal creating pin holes.

Unless it has been recored or replaced with an aluminum core you can use Draino, Liquid Plumber, Red Devil lye or a 50/50 mixture of Muriatic acid. Be careful with that stuff, wear rubber gloves and face shield. Probably not the best idea to wear your newest pair of Levis either.

Add one of the above and let the machine run for a short time to get everything warmed and stirred up. Drain from the lower hose NOT the drain cock. Run a strong solution of baking soda/water through, drain and flush with clean water followed by your choice of anti freeze. You might want to keep a couple of tubes of Silver Seal or similar to seal the pin holes the cleaning will create.

Dispose of the drippings responsibly, yada,yada, yada.

All this being said might be best off recoring or buying a new one.

Finally it is a good idea to drill a .125" hole in the thermostat if it doesn't have a wiggler in it to avoid getting it air bound over heating the engine and having a coolant fountain when you remove the cap. Or.... you can run it with the cap off and let it burp itself.

t

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]