Folks, I attempted to motor test a genny bought from Yesterday's Tractors. I freed the belt, removed the lead to the cut out, and ran a jumper from the negative battery terminal to the only stud on the rear of the genny. Not only didn't the generator move, but the jumper quickly overheated.
So I assume I had this hooked up wrong, though it seems to match all the you tube videos and on-line descriptions I've seen. My next option will be to remove it and take it to a shop for testing, but I can't imagine a new genny would be at fault.
Did I do something wrong in the motoring test?