Re: 2N charging system (again!)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Frysinger on October 10, 2017 at 09:50:16 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: 2N charging system (again!) posted by Tim Daley(MI) on October 10, 2017 at 09:03:17:

> My guy rebuilds starters and generators in a day and I get them back in 3 or less.
> He is a Ford guy and stocks a lot of the essential parts -armatures, field coils,
> brushes, and all the hardware. If you want him to rebuild yours, email for details.

YES, Please give me his contact info. I haven't found someone around here.

> What does ca. mean? calibrated? HHHMM. A digital meter will have a digital
> readout screen. An Analog meter has a multi-scale window with a needle.

I meant circa late '70s - I think I bought it at Sears in around 1976. It's definitely analog.

>You 'polarize' when battery is connected, but no power is applied (do not run
>tractor)using the crosswire/arc spark method.

Ignition ON or OFF?

>Polarization isn't the problem here. As soon as power is applied to the generator
>it becomes polarized, whether positive or negative.

Right, but other posters have said it could be reverse polarized and that would prevent it from charging my system. Not true?

>If it is a 3-brush generator, it will have the adjustment screw on the back end
>plate and I suspect it does. Do you see a screw terminal with an ARROW? I'm not
>sure if the new aftermarket ones have it or not.

I'll have to look when I get home.

>Get a good battery. Never use a "DEEP CYCLE" battery on these old tractors -not
>what they're made for.

Right, I didn't mean that I had used a deep cycle battery, only that because I have to charge in between uses it gets run down deeper than a normal battery is designed for (which can be hard on the plates. The battery does hold a charge though.

>Get a copy of JMOR's WIRING PICTORGRAMS downloaded and go thru all the wiring as
>I said with battery disconnected.

Will do.

>The AMMETER may not be wired correctly. Is it the original LOOP/INDUCTION style
>or a later aftermarket two-screw terminal style?

I've owned the tractor for ~30 years and have never replaced it, but I can't swear it's original. I'll look at the screws when I get home.

>Don't make any generator adjustments -let your starter shop guy tweak it all. Take
>generator, cutout, ammeter, and battery to him and he will bench test all fast,
>easy, and usually at no charge. If he doesn't know about old Ford stuff, find
>another one who does.

If I can find a local guy... So I shouldn't make the screw adjustment you mentioned in your earlier post?

>see if there is some info in my article you can use...

Downloading now...

Thanks!
Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]